Remember how I bought way too many dates? Well I’ve still got a few and am left wondering what else I can bake them into. I made these chocolate coated ones to share with my family, and I think I might make a few more just for myself. I tried a number of different flavour combos, and along with the raspberry and pistachio white chocolate coated ones, these orange and walnut chocolate dates were a favourite. I love the crunch of the walnuts against the fudge-like texture of the dates, and the sweetness of the chocolate cuts through the citrus-y, sour orange perfectly.
- 12 medjool dates (or other variaties of dates)
- 200g good quality milk chocolate
- A handful of walnuts, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp orange juice (add more or less as desired)
- Vegetable oil, if needed
- Optional: orange zest
- Remove the seeds from the dates, and insert walnut pieces. Seal the dates back together by rubbing the open edges together.
- Melt the chocolate in a small open over a low heat and then add the orange juice and stir to combine. Be careful not to let it burn. Check the consistency - if its not runny enough to coat the dates then add 1 tsp of vegetable oil. Stir and check again. Dip the dates into the chocolate, making sure to coat the entire surface. Place the dates onto greasproof paper on a tray. Sprinkle with walnuts and orange zest.
- Place the dates in the fridge and leave to set for at least 1 hour.