Yup was down earlier this week. I was sitting on this key lime pie recipe, with photographs ready to go, and the words for the beginning of a witty anecdote forming in my head, only to be stopped in my tracks by what I can only assume falls under the category of “technical difficulty”. Where I was expecting to see an apple baked in chocolate and cinnamon staring back at me, I instead locked eyes with an error page. I appeared cool as a cucumber as I casually, and as nonchalantly as I could manage, informed Conor about the situation. When in fact I was suffering from palpitations and a dizzy spell. I didn’t have the faintest clue what the error message was suggesting, nor the first idea what to do about it. After abusing the refresh button several times I decided I should probably consult someone fluent in tech-speak.
After a nervous 36 hours the issue was rectified in under 10 minutes by someone from tech support. Although when he told me he was “replacing core files” I almost cried because I thought I would lose blog content. Turns out I was losing nothing and I should just leave the experts alone to do their thing. They informed me a plugin had broken my blog but they didn’t know which one, and my worries were far from over when I discovered all my plugins had disappeared. At that point I lost my cool, and Conor responded by making me food because I was sad.
A few more nervous minutes with tech support have now left me with my blog almost back to normal – there’s something weird going on with my social media icons, but I’m not going to cry about it, I’m just going to handle my blog with kid gloves for a bit.
But let’s get back to that pie. A thick biscuit base, with a smooth citrusy filling. It’s got enough limes to give it a kick, and a creamy top to take a bit of the edge off, and make this a truely decadent dessert. Between the two of us we spent a few days eating it because I chose to forgoe my individual tart tins, for a size that would make more of an impression.
- 300g hobnobs or digestive biscuits
- 160g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 x 397g condensed milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- Zest and juice of 4 limes
- 280ml double cream
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- Vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4.
- Crush the biscuits in a plastic food bag using a rolling pin. Combine with the melted butter, and press the mixture into a 20cm tart tin. Bake for 10 minutes and then leave to cool.
- Whisk together the egg yolks and then slowly add in the condensed milk and continue whisking for another 5 minutes. Add in the zest and lime juice and whisk for another 5 minutes. Pour the mixture over the biscuit base and bake in the oven for 12 - 15 mins. Leave to cool and then place in the refrigerator for a few hours.
- To serve: whisk together the double cream, icing sugar and vanilla essence until soft peaks form. Spoon the mixture into a piping bag and use to decorate the top of the pie. Optional: sprinkle more lime zest.